Thursday, June 25, 2015

Adhesive Capsulitis - Shoulder Update

Tootsie's Mom here. I am so relieved to report that my shoulder is doing much better. If you know anyone who has adhesive capsulitis,

DO NOT HUG HER! DO NOT SQUEEZE HER! DO NOT BUMP HER!

For the original post about my challenges with adhesive capsulitis, including information about my treatment(s), please see here.


I am long out of the acute phase, which was debilitating and exceedingly painful. It's actually okay if I'm bumped now. Just a few months ago, a simple nudge would fell me to my knees.

I still have work to do! I need to regain about 15% of my range of motion, to continue going to physical therapy (in an adorable pool located inside a hospital with a view of a vineyard), to continue going to acupuncture, to begin rebuilding my strength, and to continue Tootsie's schedule of unlimited fur therapy.

But just look at my arms raised in the air! Look at that hike!


In addition, I am trying to address my bum R knee and regain overall health. I've had the flu multiple times this past year, and I just had a strep infection. Yikes! Can you say two rounds of heavy-duty antibiotics? Poor body. Poor me.

Not really.

The Husband has been incredible--supportive, loving, patient. I've started doing QiGong (see a cool YouTube video here by Chris Pei). (Please don't tell me to try yoga; I don't like yoga. Tootsie loves downward dog!) And Tootsie... well, you know. It's all about our Tube of Fur.


Thanks for all your good thoughts over this past year. It's been a challenge. There is light.

Love,
Renee

P.s. During the acute pain phase, no pain killers worked--not even morphine derivatives--but an online course on "Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction" (MBSR), run by Dave Potter of Palouse Mindfulness, really helped manage my attitude toward my pain, and thus my pain. Potter's free eight-week online course is available here at MBSR online. You may have seen Anderson Cooper's super 60 Minutes coverage of "MBSR," which was started years ago by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Along with acupuncture, MBSR has made all the difference in my recovery, particularly Dave Potter's fantastic course. Thank you, Dave!

6 comments:

  1. it's so great to see some light while wandering through the dark valley of pains... I hope it goes better and better, efurry day a little bit... and yes some potp of our furry friends helps a lot...
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies mum here: I am glad that you are feeling somewhat better. I know what it is like when no pain killer will help!!! I am sure that POTP helps, and that Toodsie is the best help of all!!

    Take care of yourself and keep feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad you finally feel better ! Lovely raspberry, Tootsie ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my acupuncturist treat my immune system - to strengthen it - at various times with good results. Glad you're seeing improvement. Dogs are the best medicine, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Renee,
    Great photo of you on the hike! I'm so pleased that you're finally on the mend. That is scary when even powerful painkillers don't work. The mindfulness-based stress reduction approach sounds well worth trying. (Even this pharmacist's daughter thinks its best to avoid, if possible, taking strong medication over long periods!)
    I'm sure that as your shoulder strengthens, the immune system will improve too.
    But best of all you have DD and Tootsie!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...