Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pet Blogger Challenge 2013!


1. How long have you been blogging and provide a link to your post from last year’s Pet Blogger Challenge so we can refresh our memories.

September 2011 - that's when I started barking out at the dogosphere.
Here are my answers from last year!

May I send a special bark out to all our fur friends and their humans? Wags to each of you for being my friend.

2. What do you consider the most important goals you set out in last year’s post?

My number one goal was to help Mom write again after the passing of her mom.

Here we are along the Ligurian Sea over the holidays.

3. Have you made progress toward those goals, or have your goals changed over the past year?

A little bit of both.

4. How often do you post?

At least once a week, but typically 2-3 times a week.

5. Has your opinion of blogging on a schedule or as the spirit moves you changed?

A schedule helps any creative endeavor. Then, when the dachshund muse visits, one is well prepared.

If you publish on a schedule, why? How strict are you about your publishing deadlines?

As strict as a Swiss-German pedestrian reporting the license plate of a car that exceeded the speed limit by 1 km/h.

I like publishing on Blog Hop days such as Monday Mischief, Wordless Wednesday, and Black and White Sunday.

What do you do for inspiration when it feels like you’ve covered every topic?

We hike all the time, so we get inspired as we perspire.

Here I am looking out over Lake Lugano in southern Switzerland.

If you don’t publish on a schedule, why? How do you think your decision affects your audience?

Writing a blog is very much like pooping: regularity is a plus, but when you have to go, you have to go.

Do I have to pose with one more wreath? Holidays are over!

How do you know when a topic is “post-worthy?”

Anything in my life can be “post-worthy”. Even checking pee-mail is post-worthy against an alpine backdrop.

6. How much time do you spend writing your blog per week? How much time visiting other blogs? Share your tips for staying on top of it all.

I'm not a 9-to-5 dog, so I never keep track of my hours. Sometimes I blog as I'm napping.


7. How do you measure the success of a post and of your blog in general (comments, shares, traffic)?

I believe in the quantitative assessment of the performance of my blog. The number of (non-spam) comments is certainly important, but my preferred figure of merit is the number of hits from IP addresses located between the tropics, as they generally correspond to the hottest readers.

Do you look strictly at the numbers, or do you have a way of assessing the quality of those interactions?

I have empirical evidence that the success of a post can be predicted by the number of times I wag within the 24 hours prior to its publication.


8. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one issue you’re having with your blog, what would it be?

I would like to get better at monetizing my blog. I would like to achieve canine financial independence, i.e., generate enough income to pay for my dog food, vet visits, and my $50 yearly Swiss doggie tax. (As a dog, I qualify for flat rate taxation in Switzerland.)

Dog-blogging income would also help with the cost of flying back and forth between America and Switzerland. Why don't airlines offer frequent flyer doggie miles?


9. What goals do you have for your blog in 2013?

Essentially two goals: (1) to find a sponsor; (2) to keep on wagging.


Thank you, Amy, for hosting the challenge!

20 comments:

  1. Okay, Tootsie. You're the funniest. Are you sure about this regular schedule thing? You're making TT go hmm and shake her head. Alas! I don't think we're going there, despite the huge pile haha of empirical evidence. Hooroo! X

    P.S. didn't we meet at last year's Challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an informative post! I like your prediction of post popularity. I'm going to have to try wagging more before each post!

    "Writing a blog is very much like pooping: regularity is a plus, but when you have to go, you have to go." -- BOL!! How true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are so funny! MOM and I love your blog. And I do believe we would ever pay a small fee just to read it. Yea it's that good.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tootsie , keep on wagging and we hope you find a sponsor. With all that hiking you do there must be one out there. Have a terrific Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Tootsie, thank you for making me smile this morning! I love your posts and I know you can achieve your goals if you not only wag your tail, but your butt too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You cute, your funny and you live in Switzerland! Totally understand the Swiss rules even in the French speaking part of Switzerland... got a ticket once for putting garbage in the bin (it was an envelope from my mail) Any how love your blog and I'm here all the time. However sadly we're moving back home April...having fun with those Swiss rules too! But looking to keep connecting in 2013

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get to visit as often as I'd like, but when I do I'm always happy I visited! I love goal #2! Keep on wagging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very insightful post Tootsie. Sometimes I wonder if Gail has Swiss-German genes, she is so obsessed with keeping to schedules and meeting deadlines!
    As for judging the success of a post, we go by the quality and thoughtfulness of the responses it provokes, rather than the number of comments.
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good answers, Tootsie! I hope you find a sponsor -- if you can use puppy kisses, I have plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best quote of the day: "Writing a blog is like pooping." I think it sums it all up right there. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that. "We get inspired as we perspire"...That's us Too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best answers yet! Love it! Thank you for being so honest - you made me smile just now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL. I love the idea of using wags as a measure of success!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a fabulous outlook! I love your thoughts on regularity - well, said! Best of luck earning enough to cover your doggie tax - Finn and I will be wagging for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for participating in the Challenge again this year! I love you motto of getting inspired as you perspire ... I see more perspiring in my future. My suggestion for finding a sponsor is to look at the products you're already using and contact those companies. It's worked well for us because we get to work with brands we already love. All the best to you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tootsie, I enjoy your posts and hope that you find sponsors in 2013. Happy Perspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tootsie - I would give you the award for funniest Pet Blogger Challenge post if I could! Thank you for making me smile and laugh out loud. I always love visiting your blog on B & W Sundays, but I may have to stop by more frequently. Thanks for joining the hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one of the funniest pet blogger challenge posts I've read. I will forever remember that blogging is like pooping.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your answers to the challenge! Good luck with your search for a sponsor! We're doing the same at our blog.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...