Monday, January 16, 2012

Mango Minster 2012: Adventure Animals Category!


Dear Mango Minster Judges and Kindred Hearts:

I, Tootsie, am a Bicontinental Adventure Dachshund.


Thank you for the opportunity to enter the 2012 contest. I am an adventurer who lives and travels on both the European and American continents and logs countless hours hiking in the Alps and the American West.

I travel by plane,


by train,


by gondola,


and by many other methods of transport, including automobiles, buses, cogwheel trains, funicolari, and ferries.


Fur Disclosure: I’ve never ridden a chairlift because I don’t think it’s safe.

As part of my residence in southern Switzerland, for which I obtained a Swiss Pet Passport, I'm required to embark on another sort of adventure. As a middle-aged doxie, I am learning to understand one of Switzerland's four national languages, Italian: "Seduta, Bassottina. Brava!" ("Sit, little Dachshund. Good girl!")

I love hiking. I’ve hiked all over Switzerland: Canton Fribourg in the west,


the Greina Plateau in south-central Switzerland,


Canton Appenzell in the northeast,


and in many other places.


I’ve hiked in the Austrian Alps,



in the French Alps,


and in the Italian Alps.



Once, I encountered a viper on a trail near Passo Vivione in the Italian Alps. There's no picture, because, duh, we're not going to hang around with a deadly viper on the trail, but here’s a link to what the viper looked like. Freaky!

I’ve also hiked in the Appennines in Tuscany


and regrouped in a Tuscan hilltown.


Though naturalized Swiss, I'm a proud United States citizen by birth (though the U.S. doesn't issue legal pet passports).

I love hiking in the American West, especially in my home state of Idaho.



I also like to hike in Montana.


Before Christmas, I met Santa Claws in downtown Bozeman.


The whole schnaa of being bicontinental means I’m a super lucky little dog. I get to go sailing in the San Juan Islands in Washington State,


explore the rocky shores of Puget Sound,


and walk along the sandy beaches of Tuscany,


where I filmed this movie.




I’m a fit little dog, but I wasn’t always this lucky. Before my forever parents adopted me, I was a very sick little dog. It was not clear if I would be well enough to live this life.


My special vet Dr. Ward of Pet Mobile saved my life. Dr. Ward performed surgery to remove huge bladder stones. Just a month later, I had three abscessed teeth pulled at one time. Ouch.


Yet after each surgery, I woke up wagging. My special vet assistant Brenda says that I always wag! My previous caregivers Clara, Sarah, Sadie, and Sophie, who found help for me with special vet Dr. Ward, confirm that I have always wagged. It’s true. Wagging is the leitmotif of my life.

Even before my renaissance and all my current travels, I believe I have always been an “Adventure Dachshund.” Why?

Because, to me, real adventure begins in my heart. Real adventure is reflected in my wagging tail. When I wake up every morning, I wag. I wag because life is sacred, and I'm grateful for mine.


Thank you for your time and consideration of my entry in the 2012 Mango Minster contest.

Keep on wagging!
Love,
Tootsie

P.s. Now I'm going to take a nap!

30 comments:

  1. That's the perfect category for you! Good luck
    Dachshund Nola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I think "Too Darn Cute" is perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Tootsie - I am extremely impressed! I thought I was the most adventurous adventure dog around, but you are quite a formidable opponent in this category! It's wonderful you can travel between Switzerland and the U.S. with your parents and that you're learning Italian. Not only bicontinental, but bilingual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe you adventured so close to me at Christmas and we didn't even go hike toegther! :( Maybe some other time! You certainly have a perfect adventure life. Many dogs will reas about you and be furever jealous. Good Luck...I am quite sure you will win this contest. Paws crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "by GONDOLA" - THAT IS AWESOME!! Good on you, Tootsie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Tootsie, it sounds like you live an amazing life! I'm jealous of al the pawesome traveling you get to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's a great idea! I gave you the Pawesome Blog award! I am so excited you know where Bozeman is. Ruff! Go to my page to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Garth,
    Grazie mille! (Huge thanks!) I love your Florida pictures for your Mango entry. :)

    Dear Scrappy,
    Paws crossed! Sorry to have missed you in Big Sky country.

    Dear Tegan,
    The Gondola was amazing. My mom was scared, but I loved it.

    Dear Casey,
    Here's to pawesome travels!

    Dear Kootenai,
    Thank you so much for the Pawsome Blog award! It's an honor. Synchronicity, because last night I was working on a Pawsome Blogger award for you... seriously! To be posted later this week.

    Keep on wagging everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one world traveling adventure animal for sure!

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, Tootsie! I bet you've hiked a million, jillion miles! Those look like some Most Wonderful and Exciting places you've been. And I agree 187% that adventure starts with what's in your heart.

    Good luck!

    Wiggles & Wags,
    mayzie

    PeeS. My mom TOTALLY agrees with you on that chairlift thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mayzie,
    Thank you for your sweet comment. Maybe not a jillion miles, but my short legs can take me very far!
    Good luck to you, too!
    Tootsie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent entry Tootsie. What an adventurer you are. I am not sure I would be so confident in snow were my legs to little. And you were so brave with those waves at the beach too.
    Great to meet you, my tail wagging new friend, and best of luck in the competition.
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Especially because your entry is engaging and a fantastic read! I look forward to following your future adventures.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  13. I am jealous of all your travels! Great pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Tootsie! One of the best things about MM is getting to meet new critters of all kinds, and you are fascinating. What a jet setting, mountain climbing, surfing babe, embrace the world survivor you are! You are well qualified for this category. Best of luck in the contest.

    Jed & Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It warms my heart that you call me an 'embrace the world survivor'!

      Delete
  15. Tootsie, I think I need a nap after reading about all your adventures. Good luck in MM 2012.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tootsie,
    Good Luck in the contest!!! We are so proud of you and so happy that you share your wonderful life with us. Your tail wagging is one of the best qualities that you have along with your good heart. Sadie says that she really is jealous of all the hiking that you do since she has to be the store greeter for Mom. We are trying to get out more and see more places here at Diamond Lake. Keep up the good work and we hope to see you when you are in this area.
    Wags and Kisses,
    The Other Mother and Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much Other Mother and Sadie!

    I'm so glad you are proud of my entry. I'm really happy I get to share my adventures with you!

    Love,
    Tootsie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tootsie, you have been to so many wonderful places we are a tiny bit jealous. We sure did enjoy the opportunity to see them through your eyes thank you for sharing them with us and what a wonderful entry to MM 2012.

    Keep that tail wagging.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We'd definitely vote for you, Tootsie! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun MM adventure post!! We enjoyed visiting the Alps with you, as well as our fave place in the USA: Idaho. (We have a cabin in farrr N.Idaho!!) We are so glad that you got all your medical problems cleared up to become an international traveler. Good luck in MM2012!
    Smooches from pooches,
    BabyRD & Hootie

    ReplyDelete
  21. You sure have had many different adventures. Best of luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...